adrienne maree brown: Grief, Future Visioning, and Why People Doing Movement Work Need to Write More Fiction
adrienne maree brown. Photos: Anjali Pinto
Future vision can be a powerful force for action when it is clearly conveyed and there is a genuine desire to bring it into reality. Today, Ryan Honeyman speaks with writer adrienne maree brown about the compelling and highly-detailed future visions that exist in works of science fiction, speculative fiction, and visionary fiction and how organizations can help articulate those visions into practical frameworks.
adrienne is the writer-in-residence at the Emergent Strategy Ideation Institute and the author of Grievers, the first novella in a trilogy on the Black Dawn imprint, as well as Holding Change: The Way of Emergent Strategy, Facilitation, and Mediation; We Will Not Cancel Us: And Other Dreams of Transformative Justice; Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good; and Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds. She is also the co-editor of Octavia’s Brood: Science Fiction from Social Justice Movements and How to Get Stupid White Men Out of Office, and the cohost of the How to Survive the End of the World, Octavia’s Parables, and Emergent Strategy podcasts.
In this episode, adrienne and Ryan also touch on how grieving will allow us to relinquish the systems that harm us, the role that lineages of inspiration play in helping us envision a future free from the constructs that we currently take for granted as our identities, and why adrienne believes that those doing social justice work should write more fiction. Tune in today for all this and more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn how adrienne found writing as a tool for social change early on in her life.
- Why she believes that our evolution as a species is related to our ability to grieve.
- How to connect with your lineage and view displacement as part of indigenous stories.
- Using what adrienne calls anti-capitalist time travel to identify lineages of inspiration.
- The profound recognition that to be free from a physical body is to be free from pain.
- Opportunities for clear, compelling, and detailed future visions that exist in works of science fiction and speculative fiction.
- The moment when vision becomes framework and how organizations can articulate that.
- Why adrienne encourages those who do movement and activism work to write fiction.
- Storytelling as a core technology of how humanity functions.
- How listeners can help adrienne build the next economy: make mistakes.
- “The better we get at grieving, the more possible it becomes that we can relinquish these systems that are killing us.” — @adriennemaree
- “[Capitalism] makes you forget where you come from and where you’re going. Everything is about the immediacy and what [you can] accumulate in the immediate moment.” — @adriennemaree
- “When I imagine [the future], I think we will have abolished a lot of the constructs that we currently take for granted as our identities in those future visions and that will be a component of why we’re able to experience the abundance that I think is coming to us.” — @adriennemaree
- “I want a lot of people who do movement work to be writing more fiction.” — @adriennemaree
- “The next economy is one that will come from our ability to be in experiments where we make mistakes. Currently, the landscape for making mistakes feels like a minefield.” — @adriennemaree
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- adrienne maree brown — https://adriennemareebrown.net/
- adrienne maree brown on Twitter — https://twitter.com/adriennemaree
- adrienne maree brown on Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/adriennemareebrown/
- Emergent Strategy Ideation Institute — https://alliedmedia.org/speaker-projects/emergent-strategy-ideation-institute
- Grievers — https://www.akpress.org/grievers.html
- Holding Change — https://www.akpress.org/holding-change.html
- We Will Not Cancel Us — https://www.akpress.org/we-will-not-cancel-us.html
- Pleasure Activism — https://www.akpress.org/pleasure-activism.html
- Emergent Strategy — https://www.akpress.org/emergentstrategy.html
- How to Survive the End of the World Podcast — https://www.endoftheworldshow.org/
- Octavia’s Parables Podcast — https://www.readingoctavia.com/
- The Emergent Strategy Podcast — https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-emergent-strategy-podcast/id1553479340
- Movement Generation — https://movementgeneration.org/
- Since I Been Down — https://www.sinceibeendown.com/
LIFT Economy Newsletter
Join 7000+ subscribers and get our free 60 point business design checklist — plus monthly tips, advice, and resources to help you build the Next Economy: https://lifteconomy.com/newsletter
Next Economy MBA
This episode is brought to you by the Next Economy MBA.
What would a business education look like if it was completely redesigned for the benefit of all life? This is why the team at LIFT Economy created the Next Economy MBA (https://lifteconomy.com/mba).
The Next Economy MBA is a nine month online course for folks who want to learn key business fundamentals (e.g., vision, culture, strategy, and operations) from an equitable, inclusive, and regenerative perspective.
Join the growing network of 250+ alumni who have been exposed to new solutions, learned essential business skills, and joined a lifelong peer group that is catalyzing a global shift towards an economy that works for all life.
Learn more at https://lifteconomy.com/mba.
Show Notes + Other Links
For detailed show notes and interviews with past guests, please visit https://lifteconomy.com/podcast
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? Visit: https://bit.ly/nexteconomynow
Music by Chris Zabriskie: https://chriszabriskie.com/